Blog

Splintered, A.G. Howard


Synopsis:
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

First of all, since this is my first book for the Fairytale Retelling Reading Challenge, I wanna tell you why I choose to participate and why I choose this book. I had a large collection of Disney books when I was young, and Alice In Wonderland was the first one I wanted to read when I started learning how to read in school, and I love the story even more after the movie with Johnny Depp as Mad-Hatter in 2010. Splintered is a retelling of Alice, with a bit of a dark twist. 

The story begins with Alyssa Gardner, the great-great-great-granddaughter of Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for the Alice tales. And it seems that's not a tale at all. There's a curse upon the women of the Liddell family. Ever since Alice, every woman has ended up in a mental institution. Some of them ended up very dead. They all hear bugs and flowers talk, which - of course, isn't considered normal by most, and like her mother and other women of her family before, Alyssa hears them too. The book opens with her “arranging their corpses into outlines and shape. Dried flowers, leaves, and glass pieces add color and texture . . . These are my masterpieces . . . my morbid mosaics.” 
With this, the book immediately caught all my attention.

Alyssa kept the signs from her curse hidden. From her father, from her mother - institutionalized years before - and from Jebediah Holt, her neighbor and long-time crush. She doesn’t want to lose her grip on reality but things aren't the way she wants and it soon becomes clear to Alyssa that Wonderland is real. When her mother’s condition deteriorates, she decides to find a way to break the curse. This quest leads her to secret family heirlooms, that send her to Wonderland. 

If you loved the Wonderland that Tim Burton envisioned, then this is the perfect book. Along with a lot of the classic scenes and the usual characters we are introduced to a dark, twisted and macabre world, in which Alyssa finds her way.

I loved the heroine, so full of contradictions, the details and the description, so vivid that we feel like we're in Wonderland with Alyssa.  I won't talk about her love life, but I can you that it's quite interesting. 

I highly recommend Splintered, and I can't wait to read the next book!
By the way, I'm sorry if you find any mistakes, but English isn't my mother language.



Sinopse:
Alyssa Gardner ouve os pensamentos das plantas e animais. Por enquanto ela consegue esconder as alucinações, mas já conhece o seu destino: terminará num sanatório como sua mãe. A insanidade faz parte da família desde que a sua tataravó, Alice Liddell, falava a Lewis Carroll sobre os seus estranhos sonhos, inspirando-o a escrever o clássico Alice no País das Maravilhas.
Mas talvez ela não seja louca. E talvez as histórias de Carroll não sejam tão fantasiosas quanto possam parecer.
Para quebrar a maldição da loucura na família, Alyssa precisa entrar na toca do coelho e consertar alguns erros cometidos no País das Maravilhas, um lugar repleto de seres estranhos com intenções não reveladas. Alyssa leva consigo o seu amigo da vida real – o superprotetor Jeb –, mas, assim que a jornada começa, ela se vê dividida entre a sensatez deste e a magia perigosa e encantadora de Morfeu, o seu guia no País das Maravilhas.
Ninguém é o que parece no País das Maravilhas. Nem mesmo Alyssa...

Splintered ou O Lado Mais Sombrio - ainda não foi publicado em Portugal, apenas no Brasil - é o meu primeiro livro de 2015 e é um dos que escolhi para o Fairytale Retelling Reading Challenge. É um reconto de Alice no País das Maravilhas de Lewis Carroll, que sempre foi um dos meus contos favoritos especialmente depois do filme com Johnny Depp em 2010, com um toque sombrio.

A história começa com Alyssa Gardner, tetraneta de Alice Liddell, a inspiração da vida real para os contos de Alice. E parece que não é de todo um conto. Há uma maldição sobre as mulheres da família Liddell. Desde Alice, todas as mulheres da familia acabaram num manicómio. Algumas delas acabaram mortas. Todas ouviam insetos e flores a falar, o que - é claro - não é considerado normal pela maioria das pessoas, e como sua mãe e outras mulheres de sua família, Alyssa ouve-os também. O livro abre com ela a dispor "seus cadáveres em formatos e desenhos. Flores secas, folhas e cacos de vidro dão cor e textura aos desenhos feitos sobre uma base de gesso. Essas são minhas obras de arte... Meus mórbidos mosaicos."
Com isto, o livro chamou imediatamente toda a minha atenção.

Alyssa manteve os sinais de sua maldição escondidos. Escondidos do seu pai, da sua mãe - internada alguns anos antes - e de Jebediah Holt, o seu vizinho e paixão de longa data. Ela não quer perder a noção da realidade, mas as coisas não são da forma que ela quer e logo se torna claro para Alyssa que o País das Maravilhas é real. Quando a condição da sua mãe se deteriora, ela decide encontrar uma maneira de quebrar a maldição. Essa busca leva-a à heranças secretas de família, que a mandam para o País das Maravilhas.

Se gostaram do País das Maravilhas que Tim Burton imaginou, então este é o livro perfeito. Juntamente com uma série de cenas clássicas e os personagens habituais, somos apresentados a um mundo escuro, distorcido e macabro, em que Alyssa encontra seu caminho.

Eu amei a heroína, tão cheia de contradições, os detalhes e as descrições, tão vivas que nos sentimos como se estivéssemos no País das Maravilhas com Alyssa. Não vou falar sobre a sua vida amorosa, mas posso dizer que é bem interessante.

Recomento O Lado Mais Sombrio, e mal posso esperar para ler o próximo livro!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ana :)

    Great Review! I have this book on my TBR pile and can't wait to finally get to it.
    I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, of the book and of themovie (Tim Burton) adaption aswell.
    I actually bought this one because I think the cover is gorgeous! But I'm really excited now after I read your Review!
    So glad you liked the book, I hope I'll like it as much as you did :)

    Kuecki ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it!
      One of the reasons I got this book is the cover too! It has this kind of magical yet mad look that I totally fell in love with. Tim Burton's one of my favourite directors because he can pull the sort of dark twisted scenery that I love, he's really amazing and his Wonderland was astonishing.
      I hope you like the book, Alyssa isn't the sweet naïve Alice in the blue dress with white apron.. I didn't like Jeb very much, but maybe that's because I fell in love with sexy Morpheus..

      Well, thanks for the comment ♥

      Delete
  2. I agree, if you like Tim Burton this is the type of retelling someone needs to pick up. The dark and twisted Wonderland was by far my favorite part of the story :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I never though it would be so dark, I really loved this Wonderland :D
      Did you read the second?

      Delete
    2. Yes and the third :) The series changed and I didn't enjoy the sequels as much as Splintered, but the dark Wonderland stayed creative :D

      Delete
    3. Ohh, that's a shame.. I really liked Splintered.. I'll try to get the following books since I loved Morpheus and I'm hoping that he shows up a little more.. I'm glad at least Wonderland stayed the same :D

      Delete

A Dream to Hold Design de Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2014

Powered by Blogger.